Basic Aeronautical Knowledge Online
Basic Aeronautical Knowledge (BAK) is the first subject that you will need to study as a student pilot. The BAK subject is designed to equip you with sufficient theoretical knowledge about your aircraft, its systems and how it flys so that you can fly safely as a solo pilot within a limited area of operation. It is an introductory course that will give you an insight into a wide range of topics but with a relatively low level of complexity. BAK is very important because it used as a basis for more advanced studies. It is recommended that you study BAK whilst completing your intial practical flying lessons.
Who is this course suitable for?
What subjects are included in the BAK exam?
The Basic Aeronautical Knowledge course provides the student with an introduction to:
- VHF radio operation and procedures
- Aircraft components and controls
- The effects of the aircraft controls
- Forces involved in flight
- The effects of speed, angle of attack and angle of bank
- Fuel Systems
- Oil Systems
- Electrical Systems
- Aeroplane performance
- The international standard atmosphere
- Density and pressure height
- Takeoff and landing performance charts
- Loading systems
- Air Law
- Local meteorology
- Local area navigation
- Human performanace and limitations
A complete and detailed copy of the BAK syllabus can be found on the CASA Website.
How long does it take to complete this course?
Most students take between 40 and 60 hours to gain a solid understanding of the material that is covered in the Basic Aeronautical Knowledge course. It is important for students to put aside enough time to develop a sound understanding of the topics. The School of Flight’s online course allows you to come and go as often as you require. The system remebers where you are up to and allows you to review the material as often as you want.
What does this Basic Aeronautical Knowledge course cost?
The cost of this course is $135 including GST and includes 12 months access to the course materials, unlimited access to our bank of more than 700 BAK practice exam questions and a Certificate of Attendance when you pass the practice exam.
How to Enrol
To enrol in this course you need to:
- Click on the enrol now button at the top or bottom of this page.
- Login or Create a new customer account
NOTE: If this is the first course that you have undertaken with The School of Flight you will need to create an account by registering your details during the checkout process.
- Pay for your course using credit card (Visa / Mastercard, American Express), Paypal or by account for corporate customers.
- Access your course.